common roof gauges

Ben Gordesky
6/2/2014
We are solar installers. I recently did a solar site visit for a farmer who has a relatively new barn with a metal roof with a trapezoidal profile. Using my metal thickness gauge, it seemed that the metal was a 27-gauge. However, I am suspicious that it is really a 26-gauge metal with a worn edge that enabled me to squeeze my metal gauge onto it in the 27-ga slot. I have heard people talk about a 24, 26 and 29 gauge roof. But, never a 27 gauge roof. If the roof gauge is 26 or heavier, we can attach the solar directly to the roof using an S-5 protea bracket. That is why this picky question. Thanks all for your help.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
6/4/2014
Could be a thinner metal but by the time you figure in coating thickness it gets to a 27 gauge.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.