greg hoidahl
5/22/2014
Hi, I am removing the existing shingles and installing steel roofing. I plan to cover the plywood deck with 30# felt and strip it on 24 inch centers with 1 inch boards.I am stripping it because the existing plywood has some wavy areas due to a lot of rain when it was initially roofed 25 years ago.Can I put the steel over this or is there some kind of condensation/ mold problem ? I have talked to some and they say I am going to have to insulate between the strips, but if I don't strip it I can install the steel right over the 30# felt. I guess I don't see why there should be any difference.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/23/2014
How is the attic vented? Ventilation for condensation is handled from the attic side and not the above deck/roofing side. I would run synthetic underlayment in lieu of the felt and any condensation issues will be moot at that point.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.