Clip versus clipless panels

Guest User
4/19/2014
I'm evaluating metal roof options for my home, and I'm seeing quotes with both clipped and clipless snap-lock panels. Can anyone explain the quality difference between these two options. It appears to me that the clipped panels are more expensive, but I'm not sure if the cheaper clipless models are as high quality. Thoughts?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
4/19/2014
The clips allow for the standing seam panels to float with expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. The other panels have a fastening strip along one side that screws are placed through. The trip may or may not have slotted holes to allow for expansion and contraction. The clip systems are m more costly because of the separate clips as well as some other factors. They do often offer greater wind resistance as well as a better chance of avoiding the appearance of ripples in the panels.
Dick Bus
4/19/2014
The additional cost of clip system is nominal in the total cost of a roof compared with a clipless system. Gage, material type, paint finish will impact the cost more as well as the cost of labor. You should use product manufactured by a member of the Metal Roof Alliance as they have agreed to a minimum standard. Ask the contractor for references and call them to verify that they are satisfied his performance.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.