Guest User
3/18/2014
I am trying to decide whether to go .032 aluminum vs .040. Am I giving anything up from an energy perspective going with .032? Will .040 have a longer life? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
3/18/2014
.032" has not been an uncommon thickness for residential aluminum roofing. Both products will have a very good life. Metal thickness is just one factor to consider. You also need to look at product design, performance testing results, coating, warranty, installation quality, etc.
David Stermer
3/19/2014
Bill, From an energy perspective, an important criteria is the solar reflectance. The higher the better. Light colors tend to have higher solar reflectance and dark colors tend to have lower solar reflectance. The thickness has more effect on the strength of the panel system and its ability to resist load. As Todd said, both thicknesses are common and have very good life. Regards, David Stermer
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
3/19/2014
+1 No reason either will not work well is properly installed. Are you comparing differing metal thicknesses from the same panel manufacturer? If so, I don't think there will be any energy efficiency offset between the two gauges.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.