Guest User
2/23/2014
Howdy, I'm a serious DIYer and will be putting on a new roof this year. I'm looking at stone coated shingles by Decra and Gerard but am concerned with leakage in valley areas. This year we have had near record snow and record low temps causing a lot of ice damming and leaks in the area, myself included. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/23/2014
I personally suggest what I call an "open" or "self-cleaning" valley. This sort of system carries everything on top of the roof and valley, not in hidden channels which can clog with tree leaves, pine needles, ice, snow, etc. This sort of valley is not easy with stone coated steel shingles. You might check with the manufacturers. It is easier, as well as very common, with painted steel and aluminum shingles.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/23/2014
Both are good and ice damming is all a function of ventilation and much less to do with valley type or application. Air seal and insulate the attic and you should not have an issue with the roof system.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/23/2014
Those type of situations (kneewalls) require proper insulation and ventilation to be certain. Good looking home and plan on removing all the siding at the intersecting walls as well.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.