Metal Geodesic one piece roof Cap

Guest User
2/19/2014
It's about our 39 ft Geodesic Dome home kit. Which is built on straight 4ft Riser walls. We want a Lifetime Metal roof that is very quick and cost effective for a mass produced kit that will have world wide market appeal. We want to assemble a metal roof on site, on the ground on a re-usable frame IE: Frame stays on the ground, roof gets lifted .(Preferably by Welding / Brazing/ Structural adhesive weld ) to create a SINGLE 39 ft Diameter Geodesic 'CAP'. This would be Lifted into place by Crane, centered on 3 strategically placed 'Pins' in the structure, and set it into 'Glue' onto the dome home to form a 1 piece geodesic metal roof cap. (Glue would be something like Catalyzed epoxy Foam ). This metal cap, along with the installation adhesive material would be Structural, serving as an 'Exoskeleton' for the top half of the dome. The roof would only be physically attached (Other than adhesive ) to the home on the bottom skirt. Like any Geodesic Dome, Ours is comprised of triangle pieces creating Hexagons and Pentagons. For the installation of a one piece metal cap, the triangle pieces (Of the un-roofed structure) would have 1/2 inch air passages, all connecting, and leading to 6 larger openings at the base where the dome meets the riser walls.. to which Vacuum would be applied, as the clamping mechanism, during the Adhesive curing process. Simple ? Huh ? Look at any picture of a modest size Geodesic Dome Home. The roof ends up looking like a patch-work of shingles and hard to seal angles, and gives NO structural support. In fact, Shingles do the opposite. We need a visionary company here.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/20/2014
Wowsers. That is a going to be a cool project and you are going to need a roofing company that really, really knows there stuff. I am not sure if the application even exists as you describe it of if it isn't easier to just hand seam the metal in place.
Eric Novotny
2/22/2014
http://www.naturalspacesdomes.com/images/indianagarage.jpg
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/23/2014
I'd be interested in working with you on this. We have done a number of domes in the past though what you're proposing will be different. Can you give me a call or email and we will figure out a time to talk? Todd Miller 1-800-543-8938 ext 201, [email protected]
Eric Novotny
2/24/2014
Todd, Keep me in the loop on this one. I would love to see the project and be onsite for some of the fabrication. Eric

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.