Guest User
2/14/2014
I live in deep south, coast region where it gets hot and humid. I just had a kynar 500 metal roof put on a hipped roof that is 3:12 slope. The previous shingle roof had a ridge vent. They used a sharkskin like underlayment which covers the gap where my old ridge vents were. The contractor said I didn't need ridge vents because my attic is so small and the metal will keep the attic cool. I have soffit vents. Will the soffits let humid air in that can't escape? Seems like a bad idea to me. I've done some research online but I can't really find much that says it's ok to do not have ridge vents.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/14/2014
This would be against my recommendation. Proper ventilation is critical to a healthy home and it requires both intake and exhaust vents.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/15/2014
+1 Unfortunately, this is another example of a contractor who is probably a good roofer that does not understand some ventilation fundamentals. Needs to be vented if it was vented before (at least through the ridge).

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.