Underlayment for Decra tile roof

Shelley Henson
12/23/2013
We are considering replacing a Cat. 4 cedar shake wood roof with the DECRA tile roof. My question is what underlayment should we request to be used on our roof. Amarillo is an extremely dry city with a wide range of temperatures. Over 100 in summer and as low as negative numbers in winter. We have frequent high wind days and not a "lot" of rain or other moisture throughout the year. I did look on DECRA's website and saw what they required, but it leaves whether 15# or 30# is used to the discretion of the installer. What is best for my conditions? Why? It listed ASTM D 226 (Type I or II), ASTM D 4869 (Type I or II), and also ASTM D 1970. Thanks for your help. Shelley
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/24/2013
There is a family of newer underlayments called "synthetics" which much of the industry uses. You may still thought want to reach out to Decra for their input.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
12/24/2013
+1 No reason to skimp here. I would use one of the synthetic underlayments here without question. Properly attached and cap nailed.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.