Tony Kibbie
12/10/2013
I have a cedar shake roof with skip sheeting that I am going to tear off. Can I install metal roofing directly on the skip sheeting?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/10/2013
Some products can be installed this way. However, due to condensation concerns, I generally advise against residential installations without decking.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
12/10/2013
+1 Solid decking will give you a better look, sound performance, and install quality.
Tony Kibbie
12/11/2013
my skip sheeting is 1X8 with a four-inch gap. I plan on installing standing rib roofing with a breathable vapor barrier. Thoughts?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
12/11/2013
You do not want a breathable underlayment. The attic needs to vent through the ventilation zones and not to the underside of the roof. Venting to the underside of the roof will create sweating and condensation issues.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.