Guest User
11/26/2013
We are in Design Development and ConDocs on a residence on the edge of a bluff overlooking Gibson Beach in Carmel Highlands, CA. My clients want a metal roof. The approved design has 2 gable roofs and 1 single-slope roof, all connected by a lower flat roof. Due to height restrictions, the slope on all three roofs is 3-1/2" in 12". My questions: 1. What style would you recommend - standing seam, press-formed panels,etc - and why? 2. What finish - exposed metal or painted (what substrate) - would you recommend ? We don't want the look of weathered copper or zinc. 3. How do you protect field-cut edges for the style and finish you recommend?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
11/26/2013
Due to the low pitch and the fact that this roof will potentially be subjected to wind-driven rain, I would suggest a mechanically seamed standing seam. Furthermore, I would suggest aluminum for its rust resistance. You will want minimum thickness of .032" and a PVDF (Kynar 500 or Hylar 5000) paint finish.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
11/26/2013
Perfect advice from a man that knows his metal.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.