Spray Foam and Underlayment

Stephen Gass
9/9/2013
We are putting a metal roof on the house we are building and I am trying to figure out the venting/insulation/vapor barrier requirements. From what I've read so far, I think we can spray a closed cell foam under the roof sheathing for insulation and that will provide insulation and a vapor barrier that will avoid the need for venting (at least between the insulation and the metal roofing). If that is correct, then can we put self-adhesive ice and water underlayment over the sheathing and under the metal or do we have to use a moisture permeable underlayment? It seems like the the ice and water barrier on one side and foam on the other side could create a layer of trapped moisture in the plywood sheathing, which seems like it might not be a good thing. Should I be concerned? Thanks. Steve
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/9/2013
I do not see any issue with an ice and watershield on the outside. That ill give you a vapor barrier on both sides which should not be an issue,
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/9/2013
Its not really an issue as the plywood, ice/water, and spray foam are all in the same plane. What I do not hear discussed is the insulation value that is going into that assembly. What type of R-Value are you putting on the roof and have you considered rigid foam to the exterior roof deck? This, in combination with lower amounts of SPF, will give you a better performance roof assembly.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.