ladder on metal roof

mike imondi
9/8/2013
Hi, I install low voltage architectural lighting and have a situation where I'll be installing a fixture to light a roof dormer. In order to install, I will have to place a ladder on a slightly sloped metal porch roof. My question is what is the best way to secure the ladder and keep from damaging/denting the porch roof. I've attached a pic. Thanks!
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/8/2013
I would suggest putting plywood decking over the metal roof, along with some thick foam between the roof panels and the decking, such as upholstery foam. Brace the plywood up there safely and work off of it.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
9/9/2013
It is tricky but Todd is right on the money. We put rigid foam (slightly thicker than the seam height) between the panels and then ran plywood over the top. We had to clamp to the seam but you can get them to stick together slightly with something like Yoga mat materials.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.