Square a metal roof on 1x4 furring strips

Guest User
8/30/2013
I have a gambrel barn roof and I am putting a Fabral metal roof on over the shingles. I am using 1 x 4 furring strips what is the best way to square it so the first panel goes on square? The lenght of the roof is 36 feet.
Dick Bus
8/30/2013
I recommend you use the Isosceles triangle method. 3, 4, 5 triangle. In other words measure 3' across the eave; measure up 4'; from the other end of the 3' measure the diagonal 5' to a where it meets the 4'. for something more graphic click on this websitehttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpzcq8cc_3gbi6fOSaUnpl0fVaAtDXIesIC8ZsUWXfUS_E5_EY
Guest User
8/30/2013
Am I doing the Isosceles triangle on the 1 x 4 furring strips or on the shingled? And do I start on the top section of the roof or on the down pitch of the gambrel roof? Thanks for your help
Dick Bus
8/31/2013
lay it out on top of the furring strips. Start on the down pitch so the flashing above overlaps the panels below.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.