Low slope metal roof vs single ply roof

Michael Rahal
8/24/2013
Background I have a client that has heard that single ply roofing, i.e. TPO, EPDM, is less reliable than a low slope metal roof. This is all new construction. The area in question abuts other walls of adjoining structure requiring that the metal roof area would have to be flashed to vertical walls on 3 sides. The roofing area is ΒΌ:1 slope and is around 500 square feet. Question My question is given the fact that this is residential construction (wood framing), a small area, the low slope, and adjacency to other structures requiring roof to wall flashing, would a metal roof be a better option than a single ply roof such as an EPDM or TPO? What are the cost differences? How specialized or difficult is the flashing on a low slope metal roof vs. a single ply? Would the low slope metal roof be more reliable than the single ply roof?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/25/2013
I always prefer metal to single ply whenever applicable. 1/4:12 is really at the very bottom of the scale in terms of pitch and if possible (i.e. sloped ISO) I would prefer to see 1/2:12, but you can run a mechanically seamed standing seam in that application and it should be more reliable over its lifespan.
Michael Rahal
8/25/2013
But for residential construction what are my options as far as manufacturers? Do I need to go to industrial type metal roofing companies for this low slope metal or do architectural metal roof companies make a low slope metal roofing system. It seems to me that low slope metal roofs are only used on commercial and industrial type buildings and not small residental
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/25/2013
You should easily be able to source this from a standard metal roofing company that does mechanically seamed roofing.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.