Guest User
8/19/2013
I'm considering a Granite Ridge shingle roof to replace my three tab shingle roof. I have living space above my garage where siding and window maintenance will need to be performed (painting, sealing, etc.). Because it sits above the garage, the only way to access the high spots is by placing a ladder on the garage roof. That's not necessarily a problem on an asphalt shingle. If I transition to a metal shingle, how will I safely use a ladder on the new roof surface to do maintenance?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/19/2013
If you protect the stone coated surface from what would be the marring surface of the ladder, you should be fine. Why not take the time to install a turnbuckle on the top of the roof so that you can have a permanent harness location to hook into? That way you could eliminate the ladder necessity and have a safe tie off location.
Guest User
8/20/2013
Depending on roof pitch, which isn't too substantial, do the shingles offer enough friction to prevent a ladder from sliding?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/20/2013
The stone coating on the steel roofs does not seem to have as much grip on the inanimate objects as the asphalts do. Perhaps it is the fact that there is less contact surface area but that is just my observation. I would put the turnbuckle attachment point as I mentioned previously.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.