Skylites on a low pitch roof

Marc Bergman
8/19/2013
Are there any concerns with adding skylites to a 3:12 pitch roof and metal roofing? I am reroofing my 1500 SF roof and would like to reroof with metal. We just added a few fixed pane skylites. It is a brand new sound roof with good ventilation and structure.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/19/2013
I am not a huge fan of skylights because, nice as they are, they are at the end of the day "holes in the roof" and holes in the roof can become problems. That said, yes, metal roofs can be flashed around skylights. Some arrangements of skylights, especially in snow and ice country can be problematic. Make sure that your chases to the sky lights are well insulated. Also, the skylights need to be curbed -- they need to sit higher than the highest point of the roofing material, so that they can be flashed properly.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.