shedding ice onto porch roof

steve andrews
8/5/2013
I am replacing the 7/8 " corrugated roof on my front porch(1 story), the ice/snow shedding from my 2 story slate roof (directly above) destroyed it 4 years ago, broke rafters and bent the corrugations. besides replacing rafters and maybe beefing them up what gauge should I go to? I am not sure of my current gauge. sheets are 8 feet long.
David Stermer
8/6/2013
Steve, Thanks for your question. I sounds like you have an extreme snow and ice issue. Your best course of action is to have snow guards added to the slate roof above to reduce the ice falling on the porch roof. As far as the panels, I would recommend the thickest panel available from your manufacturer. Regards, David Stermer
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/6/2013
Steve, David is 100% correct. You are trying to engineer the solution while not first solving the problem. Get some snow fencing or retention system added to the slate roof and prevent the occurrence altogether. Also, I would look at the insulation and venting of the current roof. The home is probably vented via gable end vents (if at all) and some air sealing and additional ventilation would go a long way to helping slow the formation of the ice altogether.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.