Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
Hello, We replaced the roofs on two old cabins high in the Rock Mountains, and wanted to be sure we had something that could stand up to heavy snowloads and shed them well, though some of the lower angle sections will not shed regularly and will have sitting snow. We had an architect help us with the remodel of the cabins and with the roof choice - something like the Ultra Seam US150. However, after the installation, it was immediately obvious that the seams were not crimped as we had expected. In fact, now that I look at it closely, I can see how the panel overlaps, but it's not pretty and it leaves room for animals to hide out in as well. Can you tell me: a) Is this a common/accepted practice? b) Why would a roofer need to do it this way? c) What are the advantages/disadvantages? d) Do you have any recommendations for sealing the ends (the foam bits placed in there are not a long term solution)? Many thanks, Rob
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/11/2013
Can you send me more pictures please, and from different angles along the seams. Right off hand, this does not appear to be the Ultra Seam product. My email is [email protected]
Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
I don't believe it is an Ultra Seam product either, we were just told that we could expect it to look like the Ultra Seam US 150. Sorry about the lack of photos, I seem to be limited to one photo at a time, and I can't seem to post a link to photos without getting flagged. I will try to post more... Can anyone tell me: a) Is this a common/accepted practice? b) Why would a roofer need to do it this way? c) What are the advantages/disadvantages? d) Do you have any recommendations for sealing the ends (the foam bits placed in there are not a long term solution)? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide, Rob
Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
Another photo...
Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
Another...
Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
4th photo...
Rob Lindner
6/11/2013
5th...
Dick Bus
6/11/2013
Rob, from the pictures that you have shared this is not a bad installation. Is this an acceptable installation? yes. Are there other ways of doing it? yes. The one open seam at the gable end could be sealed, a metal end cap could be formed, inserted and pop riveted in place. The neoprene closures will work.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/11/2013
Thanks Rob. Like Dick said, overall based upon what we can see this installation doesn't look bad. This is not a mechanically seamed standing seam like UltraSeam is. In fact, I am not real familiar with exactly what this product profile is. For your peace of mind, it might be worth asking the installer for some examples of other installations of this product in your area, preferably a couple that have gone through a couple of winters, and go talk to the owners and see what their experience has been. I guess I'd also make sure you know exactly what warranty(s) you're getting, and from who,
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
6/12/2013
Fundamentally it is okay as stated previously. Like Mr. Bus said, there are somewhat prettier ways of detailing those enclosures but the roof appears to be installed correctly and in accordance with the guidelines.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.