New rigid insulation and metal on existing on uninsulated pole barn

Guest User
5/26/2013
I have an existing metal pole barn uninsulated metal pole barn. I would like to put 3" rigid foam board down on the existing metal roof. Then new metal. What are the thoughts on this? Can I sandwich everything together to make a solid panel or do I need to put firing on the foam board to create air space between the new metal and new foam board?
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
7/2/2013
I am guessing that you are planning on heating the space? First thing to do is check with the local building department and figure out what is code compliant. As it pertains to the air space, the vent space for the purpose of venting is unnecessary but the venting will give you some additional thermal performance in the summer months by creating some above deck convection and air movement.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.