Short panel at end of metal roof

Guest User
5/24/2013
I'm having a standing seam metal roof installed on my house. The roof in the front of our house has full panels (maybe 18" wide) starting from the right edge, but the last panel on the left edge is about 4". Is this normal installation? I assumed the panels would be symmetrical. Is there anyway to add a 4" panel to the right edge to even things out?
David Stermer
5/24/2013
Harley, It is fairly common to start at one end and work towards the other, ending with whatever size panel is needed. This way only one panel has to be ripped. Adjusting the location of the first rib by planning out the roof is a better practice.In addition to the aesthetics of symmetry, penetrations to the roof plane (such as pipe vents and dormers) is another reason to plan out the roof. I can't think of a way to make the roof symmetric after it has been installed. If you somehow added a false rib at 4" form the starting end, the rest of the panel will still not match the other end. Regards, David Stermer
Guest User
5/24/2013
Thanks so much for your answer David. I'm pretty irritated, but it seems there's nothing I can do now. I would have hoped that the pro would have thought of this beforehand--it never occurred to me to even ask.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.