Style best for shedding snow

Laurel Murphy
5/9/2013
Our house has a 1:12 slope on the back half, and we are currently shoveling snow several times each winter. (I don't have to tell you how awful this is, not to mention damaging to the existing asphalt shingle roof) Is one of the styles (panel, shingle, striated, smooth) better at shedding snow than another? Is one style stronger than another? We are not on the ski mountain, so most snows are under 6" but we occasionally get a 2-3 footer of light moisture content snow. Many thanks for your knowledge & time, Laurel
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/10/2013
Smoother is probably going to be best at shedding snow but the low pitch is a real issue for snow shedding. A mechanically seamed standing seam would be required as far as a metal product on that low pitch. It would offer good protection even if the snow did not slide.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
5/10/2013
+1 You need to make sure whatever you put on there (metal wise) is rated for that low pitch. Double, mechanical seamed, standing seam is your best bet.
Guest User
7/2/2013
I would like to know if I can install it myself on a 10'X12' shed
Dick Bus
7/2/2013
You probably could, but it does require specialized seaming tools. I am not sure you could find them at a local tool rental place.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.