Krista Breinholt
5/1/2013
I am currently remodeling a home here in Arizona. Standing seam is not common in residential here. I have picked out a standing seam flat panel from metal sales. Due to the extreme heat we get they are recommending a striated panel. I am wondering if it is a big enough necessity to change the look for the striations or if we will get oil canning anyway. I love the sleek look of the flat and am concerned the striations will change the look completely. I can't seem to find a picture or home to look at with the striations. Any help or advice would be appreciated as soon as possible. Thank you.
David Stermer
5/1/2013
Krista, Just for your information, I work at Metal Sales. I agree that Standing Seam panels should have some minor effects, such as striations, in the flat to provide some stiffness whcih tends to reduce oil-canning. The striations are fairly shallow (< 1/8") and effective at reducing oil-canning. Depending on the 'eye of the beholder', the striations can have a pleasing touch to the panels. Regards, David Stermer
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/2/2013
David is 100% dead on here. Most folks don't even notice the striations over time and in a very hot climate like AZ, they would be preferred and recommended in my opinion.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.