Noise due to thermal expansion of metal roofing

Curt Prillaman
4/17/2013
I have a well known metal gutter system on my house. These gutters make considerable and bothersome noise due to expansion when the morning sun heats them up each day. I suspect that some metal roofing systems create a similar condition. What is the actual service experience in warm climate areas?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
4/17/2013
Many metal roofs have clip fasteners or other methods of allowing for expansion and contraction without undue noise or stress on the metal. In my experience, if I am outside and a major temperature swing is occurring I will hear a few pops. Nothing real loud though and nothing I have ever heard from inside the house.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
4/18/2013
How are the gutters hung on the fascia board. Gutter noise is not something that you typically hear of because they are most often white and therefore don't heat up that much.
Guest User
4/19/2013
These gutters are one of the "guaranteed not to clog" type with a top cover, marketed by a national company and installed by an authorized contractor. The gutter is continuous full length, fastened directly to the fascia with long wood screws that pass through a plastic bracket that is inside the gutter channel and is stationary. The entire exposed metal assembly has a pre-applied paint finish -- mine is dark brown. My gutters have made this noise since installation and the noise level is easily heard from inside or outside the home. It would be very troubling to have this condition compounded by a noisy roofing system.
Eric Novotny
4/21/2013
I am not sure that you roof would suffer the same temperature sensitivities that this gutter helmet (I am guess that is the one) would. The facts that are likely contributing to this issue in terms of the gutter could be the following: - Longer runs and more cumulative expansion and contraction - Over tightened to the fascia board and not allowing for proper expansion and movement at the fastener - Light gauge material and therefore more sensitive to temperature swings - Flatter pitch so lack of any convection across the surface and any resultant cooling - Lack of a floating fastener style to allow for expansion and contraction What type of metal roofing system were you considering?
Guest User
4/23/2013
Type? I am remaining somewhat open to the best application for my situation, but I prefer the SLATE or SHINGLE appearance. I have several questions to resolve before selecting a material type.
Eric Novotny
4/30/2013
You should be A-OK in that case. Most of the panelized systems are designed to work together via locks and do not suffer from the same long runs and potential expansion issues that can happen with longer runs.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.