Pro Panel vs Standing Seam

Lee Froman
3/28/2013
Hello, I own a log home in an area of the Colorado Rocky Mountains that is exposed to the elements of snow, wind, sun and a bit of rain. We have had asphalt shingle roofing and I want to change to a metal roof. I have received bids for Pro Panel with exposed metal screws/fasteners as well as 1.5" Standing Seam with a snap lock panels over the mechanical seam. The proposal for the Pro Panel system suggested more screws than average due to high wind. The proposal for the Standing Seam suggested a fastening rate of 49 clips per square in lieu of 35 clips per square for higher wind conditions. Everyone that I have spoken with regarding these two types of metal roofs have favored the standing seam over the pro panel. Apparently the draw back of the pro panel is the fact that the screws/fasteners are exposed, can loosen over time, and the risk of water damage is more prevalent. Of course the Pro Panel is lower in cost so that is attractive to me. My biggest concern is wind damage due to the fact that we get so much wind and that has been an issue for the asphalt shingles. The proposal for the Pro Panel also included/suggested laying ice & water shield over the entire roof for added water protection where there Standing Seam is suggesting ice and water shield in the valley's and eves and felt on the sloped sections. What are your thoughts and concerns of these two systems and the difference of quality and longevity of the products/systems. I have attached a photo of my house for your reference. Thank you! Lee
David Stermer
3/28/2013
Lee, Thanks for your questions about metal roofing! Standing seam roof systems have a clear advantage over direct fasten systems in that they accommodate thermal movement. On the other hand, direct fastened is less expensive, for shorter panel runs there is not much thermal movement and can accomodate practically any wind uplift pressure by adding more fasteners. Also direct fastener panels typically take less expertise to install properly. A high temp, peel and stick underlayment will certainly reduce the leak potential for either panel type. If the metal panels are installed over the asphalt shingles, it is still important to ensure the sheathing has not degraded and will act as a good support for the screws that hold down the metal roof system. Regards, David Stermer

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.