Carl Milton
3/14/2013
As a metal roofing professional, if you had to re-roof your 2 story hip style roof today, wanted the most energy efficient & hurricane safe roof and you lived in Dade/Broward county Florida within 1/2 mile of the ocean, 3 blocks of the Intercoastal waterway & 2 blocks of canal front properties, which metal roof cover (other than copper & stainless) and underlayment system would you put on your home and why...Galvanized, Galvalume or Aluminum? I'm getting differing opinions from local roofing contractors. I've had several proposals; a couple swear by aluminum for me while the majority say Galvanized or Galvalume but I would not get a warranty because of my proximity to the ocean even though not water-front. Regarding underlayment; for tile, it seems standard here to do a 30lb felt tin tagged to the plywood, then covered by either a 90lb or upgraded to a modified bituman hot mopped & back nailed but I'm being told I cannot use the same for a metal roof. That said, what would be an equivalent underlayment system to the 30/90 hot mopped for metal? FWiW, I like the NOA uplift results on the Riffe Versaloc 1.5"x12-20" but i can't seem to find a roofer that can either get it and/or install it for some reason...Something to do with "associations". Therefore, proposals that I'm considering are with Englert Series 1300 1.5"x16" & Image II 1"x16" both in aluminum & Galvalume and both mechanically fastened seams but one roofer is quoting me for their own (manufacturer/installer) "Snap-Lock" 1 5/8" x 17.5" aluminum panel & 1.75" x 18" Galvalume panels...I'm not quite sold on the "Snap-Lock" system for this area however...any thoughts?
David Stermer
3/14/2013
Carl, My suggestion is to reroof this property with an aluminum staning seam roof panel system. Two reasons are the corrosion resistance of aluminum and the ability to accomdate thermal expansion and contraction of the standing seam system. For an underlayment, I would not use a 30# felt, but rather a high temperature, peel and stick, modified bitumen product beacause it will act as a second barrier, sealing around the fasteners. Regards, David Stermer
Guest User
4/30/2013
Carl, I am a roofing contractor in Palm Beach County extending through Broward and Miami Dade. I am both an Englert/ Riffe Certified contractor with extensive metal roofing experience. If you are 1 to 1-1/2 miles proximity to Salt/ Brackish water you must use Aluminum to maintain the manufacturers material warranties. You may use a single 30# felt (dependent upon the slope) and an optional High Temp self adhering sheet designed for use under metal roofing systems. As far as "Energy Efficient", you will need to review the manufactures color chart for the SRI (Solar Reflectance Index) to determine what suits your project. For further assistance or inquiries please email me at [email protected]
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
4/30/2013
+1 Great info Matt and very nice project showcase on your site. Some impressive projects over there.
Good Evening Everyone. I am not familiar with the 'roofing language' and this is proving to be my difficulty with choosing the right roofing material i.e. gauge, painted or not, Galvalume or R-Panel. I am the Founder and ED of a children's charity here in the Bahamas. We are building Ten (10) trellises to serve as outdoor classrooms. They are 14'x16' and have a 4' railing around three sides. I would ike to use metal roofing because it will be less weight on the structure which is made of wood (8 4x4 posts ea.). Like I said, I am in The Bahamas so, we are in the dreaded hurricane zone. What gauge should I be looking at considering this and the fact that we are a non-profit organization and have to raise funds to purchase?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/8/2013
Teharanique, Congrats on the new structures and your efforts are certainly noteworthy and commendable. In terms of panels, I would look for the thickest panel you can get in your region and while steel is not recommended for salt spray applications, it will have more structural rigidity than a comparable aluminum panel and likely be more resistant to wind lift and blow off. Given that they are outdoor classrooms and cost effectiveness is a priority, I would go with more readily available and less expensive exposed fastener R-panel. Painted should be fine or galvalume should hold up. Have them prime/paint any of the cut edges to stave off the oxidation process as much as they can. I will wait to hear from some of the other experts and they do know these materials inside and out in those type climates. Good Luck!!!

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.