mobile home ventilation

john smith
2/27/2013
Good Day! I am installing a metal roof (over existing shingles) on a doublewide home located in Florida. I am going with the standard 1x4 batten boards with bubble foil on top of the shingles. The attic is NOT VENTED, and I am trying to lower a/c costs as we spend more money in Florida trying to keep the heat out. My question is whether to cut air passageways through the existing roof peak shingles. I had one roofer tell me that it would let the hot attic air escape out. ( underneath the new metal ridge). I am somewhat concerned about condensation issues. Any advice on this or other unforseen issues with this type of installation ?. I would appreciated any comments or advice , and I thank you all for your time and your knowledge.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/27/2013
By doing this, would you actually be opening up an airspace or just a fully insulated cavity? If only a fully insulated cavity then I would be concerned that opening it up really will not help matters.
john smith
3/2/2013
The attic cavity is insulated. Let's see if I can explain this a little better. The two halves of a double wide mobile homes are joined together down the center and this is referred to as the marriage wall. The mobile home installers usually lag bolt the floor joists together at the bottom of the m/wall. The top of the wall (where the trusses and the attic are located) are usually not connected and allowed to “float”. There is usually a small space between the two wall halves in the attic area. The theory is that the hot air from the attic cavity rises up through this space to the ridge shingles. Air passages are then cut through the shingles....this air rises up through the shingle cut to the new metal ridge cap and is then vented to the outside. I guess it's supposed to help lower attic temps and help with a/c costs. I hope this explains it a little better Todd and I thank you for your reply. I apologize for not responding sooner, but my IP address was blacklisted as spam and I have been trying to resolve this issue.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/2/2013
In this case then I think you should include a ridge vent on the metal roof, and cut air passages through the old shingles.
john smith
3/2/2013
thanks for your expertise Todd, I also forgot to ask.... do you think I should cut gable vents for the small mobile home attic, as it has no vents ?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/4/2013
I am not entirely sure what's going on as far as airflow with this center gap but my concern with gable vents is that they will disrupt / change airflow patterns, and probably not in a good way.
john smith
3/4/2013
I guess I am concerned that the attic has no air intakes... like soffit vents or gable vents in a traditional roof. Oh well....I guess that some air will migrate up through the nooks & crannies. thanks again for all your help Todd

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.