Concave Curves on Roof

Guest User
2/13/2013
I am going to build a house on the Big Island in a sometimes very windy area and metal roofing is the way to go. I do not want a plain standing seam metal hip roof. I want what is known as a Dickey roof or plantation style roof which has a slightly concave, not convex, curve at the hips. The house will be approximately 30’ deep x 60’ wide. Can any standing seam panels or metal tiles be used to achieve concave curves without cutting the panels? I have included a picture of an old plantation house with a corrugated iron roof that has the hip flairs that I want. Mahalo for your help.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/14/2013
Most metal tiles, shingles, and shakes should be able to make this curve. Some vertical panels will be able to as well. HPM is the large vertical seam manufacturer in Hawaii ... it might be good to inquire direct with them.
Guest User
2/14/2013
HPM was the first one that I contacted. They said - No can do! Even the local roofing contractors are scratching their heads on this one even tho I found a contractor on Oahu who did a magnificent job on the Makiki Christian Church with lots of concave curves. I guess the Big Island is just not there yet. Mahalo, Jeremy Naha
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/14/2013
The curved vertical panels are tough. Like I said, metal shingle products can accommodate this pretty easily. You may wish to check in with Jimmy Nishimoto of HRC Company in Hilo. He has some metal roofing experience and may have some ideas. Mahalo.
Guest User
2/15/2013
Thanks for the suggestion. I will contact him.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.