Insurance Coverage

Jim Mckee
1/11/2013
Several homeowners in our community are interested in replacing their asphalt roofs with metal roofing materials which is beginning to sporadically catch on thru-out this 4 city area of Norfolk, Va Beach, Chesapeake and Suffolk. The City Governments are all for it, and a couple even give aesthetic improvement grants to encourage renovation to older homes. We have a new high end community development that has a variety of metal roofs styles on about 50% of the construction. Four home owners on my block have opted to get metal roofs. The city building inspector came out and said no problems. So far so good. Neighbor # ONE says OK, I will bite the bullet and be the first one out the gate. He calls a reputable roofing contractor (recommended by your site) who will be out next week with material samples for an estimate. Well, #ONE also calls his homeowners insurance agent to find out if he would qualify for a discount, as has been rumored to be possible. To his shock and dismay the agent calls him back to say if he installs a metal roof they will drop his coverage. When asked WHY? she (the agent) said the underwriter did not say why, but she thinks it may due to the cost of hail damage. We live on the beach on the Chesapeake Bay, you would think the Insurance Co. would be happy because of the wind potential. (I can't remember the last time we have had hail and this is not considered to be a high risk area) Have you ever heard of denial of Insurance coverage due to installing metal roof???
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/11/2013
Thanks Jim. We appreciate your enthusiasm for metal. A couple of times over the years I have heard similar stories and always there was some other extenuating circumstance involved or a complete misunderstanding. If you can provide the Metal Roofing Alliance with details on this situation and who was involved, we can contact them and try to ferret things out. I have a strong feeling that we would be able to resolve things quickly. It generally has been our experience that insurance companies are very much in favor of metal. You can email me at [email protected]
Guest User
11/5/2013
Todd, When doing appraisals involving Decra or aluminum shakes with hail damage & "cosmetic waivers", what constitutes damage that would allow for an insurance company to buy the roof? (ponding water, unlocked shakes??)
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/7/2013
Tom, That's a good question. I would say that generally anything which causes water to run under the product or on top of it would be more than cosmetic damage. Additionally, anything that might cause coating ossies which may expose bare metal could constitute more than cosmetic damage. Things like unlocked panels or panels that pool water I would think could be issues for this.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
11/7/2013
+1 I would say you are more likely to see damage that may impact the finish first before actually killing the panel but I have seen some crazy hail events before so nothing it out of the range of possibilities.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.