Which gauge for residential?

Marilou Mcconaghie
12/13/2012
This forum is very helpful. So, thanks in advance. We need to replace our 4-month old asphalt roof (damaged in significant hail storm). We have decided on a 5V Crimp Galvalume product. We have 5/8" OSB roof sheathing, and the existing roofing materials will be removed. Cost is definitely a factor for us, so knowing that the 29 gauge would be less expensive than 26 gauge - is there a compelling reason to spend the extra money? We realize if there is hail that is golf-ball size or larger -- damage will happen regardless. So, would 29 gauge get the job done since we have the substrate? (We are at 6500 feet above sea level and have an 8/12 pitch on the roof.)
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/13/2012
Proper installation is going to be more critical than which panel you choose. I would also look at the quality of paint finish on the alternative products. At the end of the day, you will have greater life out of the heavier product but I'd be more concerned about proper installation and the paint finish quality than the thickness.
James Holland
10/3/2013
I have two quotes for a metal roof both about the same price, one is proposing using 2 by4's while the other is proposing using titanium underlayment. Which do you think would be better ? Also do you feel there is much difference between 28 gauge vs 29 gauge? Thank you
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/4/2013
29 gauge will be about .002 - .003" thinner than 28 gauge. I would look also at the quality of installation and the quality of coating on the product. Even the quote on battens should include underlayment, per the IBC code. Battens could increase summertime energy efficiency and also could help to smooth out your roof if it has uneven areas.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.