standing seam 90 0r 180 degrees

Jose Zirion
10/22/2012
Godafternoon gentleman, perhaps you can share some expertise with us, there is an ongoing argument around my fellow workers and I, about the 90° seam versus The 180° seam in a new tech. ss200panel. Some of them think that the 90° seam will make for a stronger roof ..." Structural" they call it, and make it their choise of seam, when the roof is installed over purlings (no playwood or any flat surface under it.) I don't agree. My felling it is that the 180° seam it will make a stronger profile, and the probabilities of chapilarity ar far less. Please let me know if I'm wrong. yours trully René
David Stermer
10/24/2012
Rene, Thanks for the question and your interest in metal roofing. I am familiar with the profile that you mentioned. For gravity type loadings (snow or live loads) I believe the 90 degree seam would be slightly stronger. For wind uplift loads, I believe that the 180 seam would be significantly stronger. In my experience, wind uplift loads are usually larger than the gravity loads, so I would recommend the 180 seam in most applications. Ensuring that the load-carrying capacity a building product is adequate for the expected loads is an important step in using any building product. As long as the sealant is in the rib both seams should perform very well in resisting air and water infiltration. Regards, David Stermer

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.