Newly installed standing seam roof.

Suzanne Fairchild
9/15/2012
My neighbor just had a standing seam metal roof installed today. The gutters have already been re-installed. There is a half/round opening at the end of each standing seam which will allow yellow jackets, bees and other insects to get under the roof. Is there a standard flashing to cover these openings? Or can you fill them with caulk? They were told that the openings had to remain open for ventilation purposes - but my friend is MOST unhappy with that idea as yellow jackets are a real problem here. (The new roof was installed on top of an existing old roof using 2x4's to raise the metal roofing panels).
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/15/2012
You can sometimes buy foam closures or even fabricate metal closures. You can also seal with a quality color matched sealant. In reality, while I understand the concern, I have only seen a couple of instances where bees did build nests in such areas.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.