Guest User
9/12/2012
I have an industrial building constructed in 1995 with a 1:12, 24 gauge standing seam galvalume roof. I have had no problems with it, but plan to install a large solar array using S5 clips and would like to have the roof ready for another 20 years or more. I inspected it myself and found some of the fasteners rusty or backed out, some cracked washers. Caulking at the ridge cap is cracked. I have had a couple of roofing contractors look at it, and they suggest replacing some or all of the fasteners, re-caulking, and low pressure wash followed by elastomer coating. These are people who have done these coatings in a lot of places, and they get the roof inspected at multiple points in the process by the coating rep. But I am getting the impression on this forum as well as some others that I would be better off without the coating. What do you think?
Dick Bus
9/12/2012
I support replacing the fastners (use stainless steel), re-caulk where necessary and forget the coating. The Galvalume will hold up for many years to come.
Guest User
9/13/2012
Thank you very much for your help

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.