metal panels over zip system.

Guest User
I'm getting ready to install 36" wide ribbed panels over 5/8" zip system osb. I'm looking for installation instructions specific to this application. Do I need an underlayment, or ice and water shield, what type of screws and at what spacing. I have been finding mixed information on the subject and am curious to here from the experts. Thanks in advance.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
In my opinion, yes, you should still use underlayment. Not everyone will agree with me on that. Ice and watershield would be as required by local building code or perhaps the roofing manufacturer. Your information on fasteners and spacing must come form your roofing manufacturer based upon how their product has been tested and also approved by building codes. Sorry ... it sounds like I am passing the buck but these questions are product and project specific and can't be answered on a generic or industry-wide basis.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
+1 Theoretically, the zip pane has it own integrated moisture barrier, however, underlayment is cheap to say the least. Put underlayment down and use the fasteners dictated by the manufacturer.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.