Code Regulation

Richard Faulkner
8/8/2012
We have a regulation that prohibits metal roofs in our community, it was to address the old metal standard roofs that do not look as good as these. I have the responsibility of rewriting the regulation to include these new metal roofs but we still do not want to allow those old standard metal roofs. Is there a professional terminology that would identify these new roofs and exclude the old standard metal roofs?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/8/2012
Thanks for the post, Richard. Are you attempting to limit folks to the facsimile products that look like shingles, shakes, slate, tile, etc. or are you also wishing to allow vertical seam products?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/9/2012
Richard, Do you have some pictures of what you consider old vs. new?
Richard Faulkner
8/13/2012
We are looking to allow the product that looks like shingles, shakes, slate, tile, etc.
Richard Faulkner
8/13/2012
No I do not, but what I am referring to are the metal roofs on mobile homes, the flat metal roofs with ridges.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/13/2012
Thanks Richard. You could break it down further from there if you wanted ... you could specify type of finish and also whether or not you want a system with exposed fasteners but right off hand I'd suggest something like: Metal roofing products which are stamped to looks like wood shakes, dimensional shingles, wood shingles, slate, or tile and utilize a non-metallic (i.e., Painted or Stone-coated) finish are acceptable. It's up to you but despite the covenant you still may want to require folks to bring in a product brochure or sample for final approval. I have seen organizations use the above (basically) requirement but if you want to get more restrictive than that, call me at 1-800-543-8938 ext 201 and I'd love to talk it through with you.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/16/2012
Richard, There a bunch of companies that make a panel that would fit your needs. Classic Metal Roofing Systems (Todd's company) is one of the best ones at just that. Take a look at their site and you will see some fantastic examples of what is out there. Good luck and I certainly think you have a ton of good metal options.
Bill Squires
12/18/2012
I am looking for an expert to address our planning board, issues have been raised about glare and heat transfer to neighboring structures.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/18/2012
Thanks Bill. Is this concerning the blue roof I have read about in the news? I have read of concerns that I have never before encountered in 30+ years ... and unfortunately they are concerns which are going to be very difficult to prove or disprove. Please give me a call or email and we will see what we can help with. [email protected] 1-800-543-8938 ext 201

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.