Venting a Metal roof

Tracey Coke
8/1/2012
I am currently having a metal roof installed on my single story Ranch style house built in the mid 1960s. The house had a Turbine Roof Vent on the house with previous shingles. The roofer is saying they cannot put this type of vent back on the house with metal roof because it will leak. Is this correct. My other concern is they did not replace the wood roof decking where the old vent was removed, they have just covered it the Underlayment material and the Metal roofing material. They say having this hole in the roof under the roofing material will help with ventilation. I have a concern with having a hole in my roof under this new roofing material should I go to sell my house in the future will cause me to be dinged on an inspection and also could lead to leaking. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/1/2012
I would never leave a hidden hole in a roof -- bad idea on many levels. Could a turbine be made watertight? I would not know why not. How are they addressing ventilation in light of the turbine being gone?
Tracey Coke
8/1/2012
They told me the ridge vents in the roofing material and the hole under the metal would allow the venting through the channels in the metal roof out to the eaves of the house, would provide efficient ventilation without the turbine vent.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/2/2012
Did they also cut a hole in the roof deck at the ridge, to allow air out of the attic. Venting the gaps beneath the roofing and venting the attic are two different things. Frankly, venting the attic is more critical.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/3/2012
Can you post up a picture of the home. Over deck venting is a great but will not do anything to control moisture as Todd says. You need to vent the attic. Venting has long since been made to work with metal roofs as can turbines and other powered attic ventilators. What type of roof is on the home or being proposed?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.