Robert Smits
7/18/2012
What is the relative reflectivity between Galvalume and a metal roof coated with a reflective substance or color? Do you have a web site where I can research this? We are getting ready to re roof a 36 yr old home with 12 yr old asphalt shingles and also building a Metal storage building/workshop. Thanks, Bob
David Stermer
7/20/2012
Robert, Thanks for the question. Galvalume has a relatively high solar reflectance, in the neighborhood of 50%. Typically only whites and light colors have that high of reflectance. ENERGY STAR lists values for many roof products at this web site.Select the last item - Qualified Roof Products. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=manuf_res.pt_commercial#roof Regards, David Stermer
Guest User
5/1/2013
We're getting a metal roof. We know that we want plain old white for the color to reflect as much of the light and heat as possible. Other than the paint color what else should we be looking for in a product or coating that will help reflect as much heat and light as possible?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/2/2013
White will be most reflective. However, especially if you live around a lot of trees, white will not stay white for long. If tree sap lands on it, that sap will hold dirt and can even support biological growth. With today's reflective pigments which help to make even dark colors meet Energy Star standards, I feel that folks do not have to have a white roof if they do not want one. Also, for enhanced energy efficiency, re-roofing is the time to take a look at ventilation and insulation as well.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/2/2013
I wouldn't, personally, own a white car or roof. Shows dirt to readily like Todd said. The reflectivity performance is built into the paint as well as the colors. Get the color you want and I am sure they have high reflectivity options. Where is the home located, how is the attic vented, etc, etc.
Nate Libbey
10/24/2013
One important factor - While Galvalume is much more reflective than painted, it doesn't release heat very quickly. So while a white or offwhite painted metal roof isn't as reflective, it will release heat much faster than a more reflective Galvalume roof. This is why light colored painted roofs have a better TSR (total solar reflectivity) rating than Galvalume. In my opinion, a light colored metal roof will always outperform a Galvalume roof in energy savings unless you live in an extremely cold area like some parts of Canada.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
10/25/2013
Good information Nate. We might disagree on the performance aspect of things regarding the roof and how much of a performance impact it should have but that is good information on the Galvalume vs. Painted TSR ratings.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.