Metal over fiberglass shingles

Bryan Peterson
7/1/2012
I have 3 tab 25 year fiberglass shingles that will not seal after 15 years and are starting to buckle at the joints. If I install metal roofing, will I have to remove the old roofing down to the wood and will the condition of the existing roof affect the warranty of the metal roof if I install it over the shingles?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/1/2012
Always adhere to applicable building codes. Always check with your metal roofing manufacturer. A responsive and caring manufacturer will even ask you to send photos of the current roof. While an ideal roof would probably not be over the old shingles, this is done successfully with metal products on a regular basis. The low weight of metal and the design of metal products encourages application over old shingles.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
7/2/2012
+1 to Todd's advice. Metal can easily accommodate your requirements and will do just fine in that application. Check with the supplier for specifics.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.