Guest User
6/25/2012
We are replacing an asphalt roof on a Panabode house on Pender Island, BC. We have a professionally installed water catchment system that provides all the water for the property. Should we be looking at an aluminum or steel roof? In general, how do the two materials compare in price and quality?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/25/2012
What an attractive home. You will not find a huge price difference between aluminum and steel usually, all things consider. Aluminum may run from the same price to 20% higher as a general rule of thumb I would say. How close are you to a salt coastline? The closer you are then the more preference I'd give for aluminum for this application.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
6/26/2012
+1 If you are coastal, go with aluminum. The price differential between the two materials is relatively small and the quality differences should be non existent if comparing materials from the same manufacturer.
David Stermer
6/26/2012
Barbara, I agree. If you are near the coast (within a kilometer of salt water) then aluminum is the right material. Away from a salt environment, steel and aluminum should perform equally well. Collecting rainwater that runs off the roof will not cause a problem for either steel or aluminum. Obviously, the water running off of any roof material must be treated (filtered) to make it potable. Best Regards, David Stermer
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
7/2/2012
+1 Both must be filtered and treated for biologicals if you are planning on using as potable water. No advantage to either metal in that case from a catchment systems standpoint.
Francie Brown
3/23/2013
Trying to understand the benefits of steel versus aluminum for a new carriagehouse structure in Michigan. Want long lasting minimal maintenance. Also interested in width info - trying to capture look of previous tin roof from 1800's.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.