Guest User
5/5/2012
Hello all, I have a 3600 sq. ft.roof, 4/12 pitch, with 26 ga. standing seam Kynar 500 coating. I used Tamko TW metal and tile underlayment. Roof has a 2ft. overhang with perforated vinyl soffit every 4ft. The builder did not install any ridge vent or roof vents. He said because he left a 2" opening at the peak of the decking that the attic air would breath out through the underlayment and the z-metal. The opening does have underlayment over it. I am about to insulate the attic and am now discovering conflicting evidence of the need for roof venting, hence my asking the experts. Should I cut into the roof and install passive vents? If so what brand/style would you recommend? How about a thermo controlled power roof vent? Thank you for any suggestions. Respectfully, Jeff ps. I used all light gauge steel framing in the house.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/5/2012
Is the bulk of the building living space? Do you have any intake vents in the soffits?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/6/2012
Your installer is incorrect. The roof will not effectively breathe through the underlayment as it should. That area should have been left uncovered and have a ridge cap installed. Either remove the existing cap and cut back the underlayment or put in roof vents.
Guest User
5/7/2012
2600 sq.ft. Heated with 1000 - 3 car garage. Garage will be be insulated walls and ceiling and Will add hvac mini - split later. The soffits are ventilated every 4 ft. In you opinion, if roof vent needed what type passive is best for this type roofing? Thank you Jeff
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/7/2012
I would suggest opening up the ridge and making sure that you have a functioning ridge vent.
Guest User
5/7/2012
Does that entail just removing the ridge cap an fitting a ridge vent to the z-metal. Any suggested brand or model number that might work? Looks like I'm doing this myself. Builder is no longer in business. What is a good type or brand of passive type vent. Thank you, Jeff
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
5/8/2012
If the plywood was cut back along the ridge line already, that should cover it.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.