Ridge Vents vs static vent

Scott Smith
4/20/2012
I am installing a metal roof over existing shingled roof. The previous roofers did not install roof vents. I have a standard rectangular hip roof with long running soffit vents that wrap the entire house. I am trying to decide which venting style is better...ridge vent or static vents, with this type of installation considering ease of installation, weather tightness, and overall energy efficiency. And dependent on which type, what is the best installation method for the vents with the new metal roof over shingles? Thanks.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
4/20/2012
Ridge vent combined with plenty of soffit vents will get you the better and more complete air exchanges of the two options.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
4/20/2012
Right on. Not to mention it will make the roof look cleaner too!

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.