Metal over Shake Roof

Guest User
4/12/2012
I have a 30+ year old shake roof in need of replacement. My neighbor had a metal roof installed about 5 years ago and loves it. He says they installed it over his existing shake roof eliminating the need for a roof tear off and it has he added benifit of better insulating the roof. Just wondering about the possibility and advisability of doing this.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
4/12/2012
It really depends a lot upon the product being installed and the condition and construction of the current roof. I have seen this done successfully hundreds if not thousands of times though in my career. Feel free to call me at 1-800-543-8938 ext 201 if you'd like to discuss your project in greater detail and talk through this possibility.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
4/13/2012
The shakes (or anything on the roof in this case) do not serve any insulation purposes. While it does save on dumping fees, I always prefer to go down on a decking to minimize the variability of the project.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.