Ice and water shield choice

Susan Trowbridge
3/5/2012
My roofer's default ice and water shield is Henry High-Temp, but he will give me Grace Ultra for an additonal cost. Because we're going to be installing the new roof over the existing asphalt shingles, the ice and water shield will only go on the stripped-off edges of the roofs. Then he'll put an underlayment over the entire roof, and metal shingles over that, on most of the house, with a PVC IB-membrane (instead of metal) on a partiularly low-sloped section where ice dams have been a big problem. I've always heard that Grace is the gold standard whena it comes to ice and water shields, but my roofer says that Henry is just as good. I don't mind paying a bit more if Grace is the way to go. Your thoughts?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
12/15/2013
Grace has certainly benefited from a great marketing and market share but I don't think there is any issue going with the other material. If you have issues with Ice dams, I would suggest you also look into Air Sealing and Insulation.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.