metal roofing on manufactured home

Joe Lynn
2/21/2012
I have a manufactured home that I want to add a metal roof. The decking is 3/8" plywood. Is that thick enough for the screws? The old shingles are in fair shape, none missing or damaged. In your opinion is it better to remove the shingles or leave them? Joe
David Stermer
2/21/2012
Joe, Thanks for the question. 3/8" thick plywood is rather thin and will require more screws than thicker plywood would. One benefit of leaving the shingles inplace is in delaying the contribution to the landfill. A reason to go ahead and remove the shingles is that allows a through inspection of the plywood. Any deteriorated plywood must be replaced. My preference is to remove the shingles. Good Luck, David Stermer
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/22/2012
+1 to David's feedback. While it does decrease landfill waste, I would always recommend pulling the old roof so that the sheathing can be properly inspected.
Guest User
1/28/2013
If metal roofs are ideal for manufactured homes and since there is no attic space, what is the recommend thickness of the plywood for Arizona`s hot climate? Also recommended material between plywood & metal roof? And, recommended grade/thickness/style for the AZ`s hot climate?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.