Best Ridge vent for my roof

Bucky Hartman
2/18/2012
I am installing a 22ga standing seam metal roof on my home. I plan on adding a ridge vent. I am turning the metal end to the ridge line up in order to stop any driving water issues. I am just wondering what your suggestion for what type of vent should i use? Cora-vent, Versa-vent, or any suggestion would be nice. I made up an homemade type but i am not very trusting of it sense i am not a professional. I am also removing the gable vent and as for the soffit i am removing the old ply-wood sheet and replacing the complete soffit with screen and then vinyl soffit panels so it should breathe enuff. The main part of my home is 1000 sq feet and i figured 30 feet of ridge would be plenty. Please advise and thank you.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/18/2012
Does your standing seam manufacturer have a prescribed ridge vent detail? They really should.
Bucky Hartman
2/18/2012
Yes. It consists of dura-vent. The Z bar is to be placed then the dura-vent on top then the ridge cap to be screwed through them. I was just reading where others have had water leak issues. I am doing the work myself and the owner is completely against the sponge type vent material because he says it will clog up and not allow the ridge to breathe.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/18/2012
cor a vent has a pretty good detail for this that I have seen used successfully. If the roof has a very low pitch that adds extra complexity. Also, have you looked at the product named ProfileVent?
Guest User
2/19/2012
I did check this product but they do not mention anything on a Firestone 2 inch standing seam 18 inch panel. If there is any other product you can come up with i do thank you for your expert opinion.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/19/2012
My company manufactures a ridge vent called Perma Vent that we normally only sell with our own metal roofing systems but it would work with other metal roofs as well. We do not promote it on the web because it is usually only used with our roofs. It is an all metal ridge vent. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like some info on it.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
2/21/2012
Even more important than the amount of ridge vent is the amount of soffit venting. Do you have enough of that? Too much ridge venting relative to soffit venting is a bad thing. You should always have 2:1 soffit:ridge venting.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.