Non standing seam solar

alan hawse
1/21/2012
I am going to put a new roof on my house. I want to install solar at the same time I want to use metal that looks like slate... or tile. But I dont want to use standing seam. So. I am looking for a combination of metal + brackets where the brackets that will work. I would like to install the brackets either in advance ... or in such a way so as not to penetrate the roof. Is there a combination like this anywhere? Thanks, Alan
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/23/2012
Ultimately there is no way to install the brackets, before or after roof installation, that does not result in penetrations through the roof. That said, most manufacturers have developed methods for doing this and have instructions to share. If you want to email me at [email protected] I will be happy to send you the instructions our company has developed for putting brackets on metal shingle roofs.
Guest User
1/23/2012
Depending on the roof type your using you could actually have solar installed with no roof penatrations. The "Aussie J bracket" would work but it depends on the roofing type your installing if this bracket is an option. If it is a stone coated product you may be able to take the idea of the Aussie j bracket and modify it to work with the roof profile your using. Depending on the # of standoffs you need you could just a local fabicator bend them them up for you in the material size you want. http://aussieroofing.com/jbracket.htm#illustrations Andy
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/23/2012
Very interesting. That is clever and a good option for batten mounted modular panel roofs. Also, just for clarification, there are options for attachment to standing seam roofs that do not include penetrations.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
1/24/2012
I have seen that J-bracket before in other posts here. It looks like a nice option but I think it all depends on the metal roof system and the weight of the panel system. As long as you plan for it accordingly, you can have the penetrations predetermined and accounted for (flashed, sealed, etc).

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.