jerry ruehle
1/15/2012
I had a metal roof installed and before I had it done, I asked if it was a problem being so close to power lines, and was told no problem. Now I have 300 volts AC being induced onto my roof, what should I do, I am not receiving any help from the company who installed it and every engineer I have talked to says to remove it and go back with shingles. The lines are 115k volt transfer lines with a 50 foot easement, 25 from the center line, and my house is 1 foot out of the easement putting the outside line within 14 feet of the house. I am open for suggestions.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/15/2012
I have never heard of such a thing, shy of one time when over a cathedral ceiling, one of the nails for the roof system hit a wire. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Guest User
1/15/2012
I found the following info, you may not be crazy, like I first thought. But just ground your roof, or I bet the owner of the power line would. "However, in some instances, buildings located a short distance away from OG&E’s rights of way may carry an induced voltage. This voltage is sometimes grounded through the building’s plumbing, electrical service, metal sheeting or metal frame. If the voltage is not grounded through these systems, it can result in a nuisance shock. OG&E recommends grounding metallic components on buildings near a power line when: • the building is within 200 feet of the edge of the transmission right of way; • the building has more than 2,000 square feet of metal surface and is within 150 feet of the outside wire; or • the building is used to store flammable materials and is within 250 feet of the outside wire"
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
1/16/2012
I would love to see a picture of this if you have one.
Guest User
1/31/2012
here are some pics
Guest User
1/31/2012
this reading is from the ground at the electrical box and the roof
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
1/31/2012
Wow...to put it mildly. Have you talked to and Electrician. I am sure grounding the roof is the best bet but I am by no means and expert.
Guest User
3/29/2014
Just install a earth/ground wire onto your roof. That will discharge any buildup you may be having issues with. I am a UK electrician :)

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.