Strapping (battens)

Jake K
1/11/2012
I just received a quote from a contractor referred by MRA. The product proposed is a stone-coated shingle that does not require strapping. The contractor also offered products that are strapped (from the same manufacturer, I believe). Should I pay the extra for a roof with strapping? I'm sure you've had this question posed before, but I am seriously interested in making a decision soon so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/11/2012
One of the key differences will be exposed fasteners on most batten mounted products. However, you also could potentially enjoy greater energy efficiency with the airspace created by battens.
Jake K
1/11/2012
Thanks Todd. Would the energy efficiency gains be significant to support a 20% price difference? Also, is there a concern with exposed fasteners on a batten mounted roof? As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/12/2012
Because of the smaller panel size and also where the fasteners are located, there are fewer potential issues with these exposed fasteners than with exposed fasteners on, say, agricultural roofing. It would probably take a long time to realize positive payback on that basis from an energy standpoint.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
1/12/2012
How much extra is extra?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.