training of installer for warranty

Guest User
1/10/2012
I am looking at hiring a contractor to install a metal roof over an older asphalt roof. The guy I have been talking to tells me that there is “NO” special training required to install a metal roof and the warranty will not be effected. Is this true? I posed back to him that means I can walk down the street and hire the 7th person I see that is wearing blue socks and have a stranger install my $18,000 roof and the manufactures warranty will still be valid for the next 50 years. What training is required to install a metal roof to keep the manufactures warranty valid?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/10/2012
Good questions. Few manufacturers tie their warranties to installation, because they do not warrant the installation. However, while installation is not rocket science, I disagree that someone with no experience would always be able to do it. It has a lot to do with roof complexity. I always suggest installers that either have several years' experience (plus going to see their work) or those who have been through manufacturer training classes.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
1/12/2012
+1 to Todd's advice.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.