Choosing between two shears

Aaron Freeman
11/29/2011
So, I'm preparing to do a DIY metal roof installation using Classic Rib metal roofing panels. I'm going to purchase a shear to help with this, but being as I'm not a professional and won't need to use this much after installation, I'm trying to buy a less-than-professional quality piece of equipment. I've narrowed it down to 2 and would like your opinion: Malcom TurboShear attachment for electric drills: http://www.amazon.com/Malco-TSHD-Turboshear-Heavy-Duty/dp/B0002894R0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Kobalt Pneumatic shears: http://www.lowes.com/pd_96651-47120-SGY-AIR145_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3305634&UserSearch=pneumatic+shear&Ntt=pneumatic+shear&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24#BVRRWidgetID I've ready plenty of reviews that say the Malcolm can get the job done. However, I'm thinking that the pneumatics would have more power. I know they can cut the flat panels, but I'm not 100% sure they can do the job with ribbed panels. Anyone able to offer some suggestions?
David Stermer
11/29/2011
Aaron, Thanks for the question. I have used Malcolm turbo shears. They work well. Cutting across the width of the panel can be tricky, especially at the ribs. I have not used a pneumatic shears. The other tool I have used for cutting metal panels is a 'nibbler'. In effect it is a pair of double shears that removes about a 3/8" wide strip of metal. Good Luck, David Stermer
Aaron Freeman
11/29/2011
My roof is a hip roof so I'm going to be "cross cutting" basically every single piece of metal that goes up (oh the joy).

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.