Guest User
11/21/2011
Hello: I would like to know how much snow accumulation a metal roof can stand? Can it withstand an accumulation of 1,5 to 2 feet of snow or does the snow just slide off the roof. Thanks. Yvette McGrath
David Stermer
11/21/2011
Hi Yvette, Thanks for the question. There are several factors that affect how much snow a metal roof panel can resist. Those factors include the spacing of support members, the panel profile and the material the panels are made of. I can say it is common for metal roof panels to be able to resist 1.5' of snow. That would be approximately 20 psf which is the typical live load required by building codes. Whether the snow will just slide off would depend several factors too, including the roof slope and how much moisture (melted snow) is present. Snow is more likely to slide off of steeper roof slopes and panels with more moisture present. I hope this helps, Regards, David Stermer

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.